Thursday 31 October 2013

Caprese Garlic Bread

This is a nice way to jazz up a side of garlic bread from your family or guests.  I didn't have any fresh mozzarella around so I just used grazed mozzarella.  The fresh would obviously be more delicious but it wasn't in my budget since it was just the garlic bread.  I just used premade garlic bread from the store for this since I was in a hurry and it was on sale.  I usually make my own garlic bread.  I like to put lemon zest and parsley in with my garlic, salt and butter (or try roasted garlic for a nice mellow flavour).

Source: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/caprese-garlic-bread/

Ingredients:

homemade or store bought garlic bread
(I used 1 1/2 tomatoes for half a french loaf)
handful of basil
fresh or grated mozzarella
balsamic vinegar

Directions:

Pour 1/2-3/4c of balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and put on medium heat to simmer and reduce by half- this is your balsamic drizzle.

Take your prepared (buttered) bread and place the fresh mozzarella on top or sprinkle the grated cheese.  Bake for 10-15 minutes until bread is toasted and cheese is melted (I just used 350-the original recipe calls for 400...do whatever you feel comfortable with while toasted bread/melting cheese in your oven).  Take the bread out of the oven and place slices of tomato on top.  Sprinkle chopped basil and drizzle reduced, thick balsamic over top. Slice and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment