Thursday 12 July 2012

Hummus

I LOVE hummus! Especially in the summer, I love it with veggies as lunch or a snack.  It can sometimes be higher calories when a lot of oil is used.  I found on Pinterest a way to cut a lot of that out and I don't miss it.  The Pinterest recipe calls for 1 tbsp + 1 tsp of oil but I found that the consistency suffered so I added another tbsp or so.  So no more than 3 tbsp of oil for a whole thing of hummus.  I also love to make different kinds, here are my favourite.

Basic Hummus:

1 can chickpeas (19oz)
1 bulb roasted garlic or as many raw cloves grated as you desire, depending on how sharp you want the garlic taste...start with one (or a combo of both)
1/4 c lemon juice (fresh)
3 tbsp water
1 1/2- 3 tbsp oil (start with 1 1/2 and add more till you get the consistency- you can do the same with the water)
1 tsp salt
pinch cayenne (more or less depending on your taste)

Whiz it up in your processor. Then taste and adjust water, oil, lemon and seasonings to your taste.
(Hummus traditionally calls for tahini, I hate the taste of sesame so I always leave it out.  Add it in per your taste).


Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Add 1 roasted red pepper to the basic recipe.  Taste and adjust seasonings. 
You can buy roasted red peppers or you can roast your own.  Just take a red pepper and put it under the broiler till it's all black.  You can also blister the skin right on your stove if you have a gas stove with the exposed flame.  Put it in a bowl, wrap in plastic wrap and wait like 15 minutes till it's cooled and peel the pepper.   Voila- roasted red pepper.


Spinach and Artichoke Hummus

Basic recipe + a handful or 2 (or 3, whatever) of fresh spinach leaves, 1 can of marinated artichoke hearts packed in oil (if you do this, don't add any oil to the basic recipe until you've tasted it and added your water- you might not need anymore).  If you use a can of artichokes packed in water, maybe add a little extra oil and some other seasonings- like italian ones.  Just a suggestion. 
-this is probably my most favourite hummus ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment