Friday 25 April 2014

Ground Beef Enchiladas with Red Sauce

After making the Black Bean Quinoa Enchilada Bake and testing out a new red enchilada sauce, I was inspired to make some ground beef enchiladas this week.  When I make enchiladas, it's often shredded beef with a spicy cheesy white sauce.  This was much more economical and still delicious.  These have been dubbed our everyday enchiladas. 

Ingredients:

double batch of my red enchilada sauce found HERE, or else buy some from the store
6-8 large flour tortillas (or corn- use more if they're small)
1 lb (450-500g) ground beef
1 onion
1 large jalapeno chopped (I had a can of green chilies in my pantry so I used half of that)
2 cloves garlic, minced
spices (I sprinkled in some chili powder, cumin and oregano but you could use a taco mix or whatever you want to spice it up)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cheese (I used mozza)
1/4-1/2 cup chopped green onion
(chopped olives would be great in this recipe but my husband hates them)

Directions:

Make your sauce (if you're going homemade route); it takes a few hours so take that into account.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Brown meat.  Drain fat.  Add onion and jalapeno.  Add spices and salt and pepper. 

Warm your tortillas. Ladle some sauce into the bottom of an oven safe, large pyrex dish. 

In the middle of each tortilla, ladle a bit of sauce.  Top with beef mixture, a sprinkle of green onion and some cheese. Fold in ends then roll into an enchilada.  Place in dish and repeat with rest of tortillas.

Ladle more sauce to cover all enchiladas.  Top with cheese and green onions.  Bake for 15ish minutes.

Top with sour cream, guacamole or whatever you please.


This is my favourite brand of green salsa.  I love to add it to my guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment