Friday 28 February 2014

Lime Tart

I made this tart for Valentine's Day.  My husband and I put our girls to bed early and had a beautiful, delicious homemade meal ending with this amazing lime tart.  I originally wanted to made a rhubarb curd tart but it's a hard time to find rhubarb.  I'll try again when it's in season.  This lime tart is a cross between a lime curd and a key lime pie. 

Source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/best-lime-tart

Note: This tart can be made the day ahead but not any further than that as the crust will be soggy on Day 3. 



Ingredients:

Crust-
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
5 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup ground almonds (I just put some slivered almonds into my food processor with the graham cracker crumbs to grind them up)
3 tbsp sugar

Filling-
4 egg yolks
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (I used 1/2 c of key lime juice and then added some extra regular fresh lime juice till I reached the desired tartness- it's just a personal preference thing)
2 tsp grated lime peel

Topping-
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp grated lime peel

Note: If your tart pan is bigger than 9-10 inches, you will need to increase the amounts in the recipe.  I didn't realize it but my tart pan is actually bigger than 9 inches..it's more like 11.  So I barely had enough crust, I thought I could do with more filling but I didn't realize till I was at the topping.  So I did 1 1/2 of the topping so I would have enough to fill the tart.  Look at your pan beforehand and figure out what you'll need.

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, butter, almonds and sugar. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. tart pan. Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, lime juice and peel. Pour over crust. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in sour cream and grated lime peel. Spread over tart.
Yield:
12 servings.





No comments:

Post a Comment