Thursday 2 February 2012

Soup It Up!

Into the soup blogs.  I LOVE soup.  There is nothing quite so comforting (in the food world) as a homemade delicious bowl of soup.  I've been testing tons of soup recipes this last year and I will post my favourites.  I was talking to someone who said they didn't really know how to go about making soup.  So before I post my favourites, I thought I would let anyone who didn't know the formula for soup making.

Generally, while making soup, these are the steps you take, and the soups you can make with this formula are endless:

-in your soup pot, saute your aromatics (your onions, garlic, celery, carrots, peppers- anything of this nature)
-add spices/herbs (it's always good to wake up your spices by sauteing them with your veggies- also, if a soup has a lot of spices, this step can cut out any grainy texture that comes from adding lots of spices late in the game.  Some spices are added at the end to taste.  Salt and pepper are always a last step for soups.
-add your liquids and veggies that are already mushy or need to be boiled (potatoes, tomatoes, etc)
-simmer
-adjust seasonings/blend/serve/etc

Some soups are different or more complex.  These are the basics.  You will find as you search out soup recipes, they all follow a similar pattern.  As you make more soups, you get more comfortable making them your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment