Wednesday 29 February 2012

I-Miss-the-Noodle-Box 'Thai Peanut Sauce'

Cole and I loved the Spicy Thai Peanut dish at The Noodle Box in Victoria.  We missed it so much when we moved to Nanaimo that I found a recipe that tastes almost exactly the same.  We serve it over broad noddles and stir fried veggies, but it's good on just about anything.  I've seen people go grab a spoon to make sure they don't leave any sauce in the bottom of their bowl.  Awesome as a veggie dish but also great with chicken and/or prawns.  Super easy, too- no cooking required (for the sauce).



slightly altered from this recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/the-best-thai-peanut-sauce/Detail.aspx
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce
  • hot sauce (sriracha) -1 tbsp for mild, 2 tbsp for medium, 3 tbsp for spicy, 4 tbsp for HOT
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a bowl, mix the peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, hot sauce, ginger, and garlic. Mix in the cilantro just before serving. 

Note: Make sure to drain everything (noodles, vegetables, protein) super well so that the sauce doesn't get too runny.

Note: Garnish with slivered green onions, chopped roasted peanuts, bean sprouts, cilantro and lime wedges

Note: The sauce is excellent on anything...even your finger.  But seriously, chicken, rice, steak, everything.

This is what the Sriracha hot sauce bottle looks like for those
of you unfamiliar with the product

peanut sauce

the noodles we always use

veggie prep- keep them small or thin to make sure they cook through

stir fry


15 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious Shannon. I love noodle box as well. I cant wait to make it and try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. made this yesterday and was delicious!! topped it on spiralized zhukinni with some diced chicken, yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looks SOOOOO good I was dying to go and eat this dish at NoodleBox and now I can make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just made this last night for dinner and it was delicious. I omitted the ginger because we didn't have any and it was still great. Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After moving from Victoria to Nova Scotia I thought I would never get to have the peanut box again. This was bang on, I added crushed peanuts to the sauce but otherwise followed the recipe and even my boyfriend, who also misses the peanut box was raving for it. Thanks so much! Will definitely be making this one again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What size can of coconut milk do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use the regular sized can of coconut milk - think it's the 398mL.
      Love this recipe! I've made it quite a few times and making it again tonight for dinner! YUM!

      Delete
  7. I just love Noodle Box and became addicted to the peanut box instantly. Now I can make this at home and save myself a lot of money. Judging from the comments, this looks like it will be close enough to theirs...minus the fish sauce, which is how I order it anyways ;) I will make mine totally plant-based, and it will be yummy!

    Cheers!
    Thanks for posting this revised recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey! this was Delish! only change I made was used linguini, added more random veg I had kicking around, and threw in Sambal - omitting the shriracha, same proportions. This is the one ingredient I remember my Noodle Box friend who BROKE the noodle box oath (they actually make you sign a document) to tell me their secret recipe. we were drunk. I didn't write it down. We are no longer friends. lol. Thats why I am here, and so stoked on this recipe! =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chili plum sauce is just a 50/50 mix of teriyaki and plum sauce

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about the Cambodian jungle curry? Anyone know the recipe for that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW this recipe is AWESOME! Very close to the Noodle Box version, except better because I can use my favourite veggies 🙂 Made this with peas, bamboo shoots and shredded carrots. Out of this world, will be making it on the regular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sambal instead of sriracha will knock this out of the park, also a little sesame oil

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to work at noodle box for 3 years. Before they went corporate. This recipe is completely wrong. Your missing 3 KEY ingredients. And using 4 that don't go in the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's no ginger or garlic in the sauce. There not hot sauce and you dont use sirracha. Also no lime juice either. And there is no fish sauce in the sauce. As well as no cilantro. The fish sauce is used to cook. Lol
    Here is the real recipe:
    1 can coconut milk regular size
    4 tbsp or sambaloek
    5 tbsp madras Curry powder
    1 can water.
    Half can soy sauce
    Half cup of peanut butter.
    That's it. I literally JUST made peanut today and it tastes the exact same
    You're welcome

    ReplyDelete