Saturday 18 February 2012

Buttermilk Cornbread

Cole and I enjoyed barbecue at Smokin Georges last night. Everything was pretty great, but we agreed we liked my cornbread better.  It was the first one I tried years ago and it's been our favourite ever since.  Maybe you have a better one, but this is the best one I've ever had.  (I have not been down in the South end of the US- you will find better cornbread there, I'm sure of it!)

I almost always double this recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (tried it was AP and WW was just better- nice balance with the sugar)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
For jalapeno cheddar cornbread add:
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
  • 1 chopped jalapeno
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan or 2 loaf pans for the single recipe; grease a 9x13 pan for double the recipe.
  2. Melt butter in large pot or skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and whisk until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pot. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes (longer if you double the recipe), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Sometimes I brush the hot cornbread with butter just to gild the lily.

No comments:

Post a Comment