Friday 17 January 2014

Tex-Mex Quinoa Stuffed Avocado

I got this recipe from HERE and it's called Spicy Quinoa Stuffed Avocado...but I'm not sure why.  It's not spicy.  So I changed the name.  A great vegan recipe- I even tried making the vegan sour cream topping as well and it turned out great.  My sister was visiting and ate most of the leftovers.  I'm usually not into things masquerading as dairy or meat but I wanted to try making this just for kicks.  Turned out good.  If you're not dairy free, I wouldn't bother.  But if you are, this (the vegan sour cream topping) is a great recipe.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 chopped red pepper
1/2 cup corn
1/4-1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro + some for garnish
1 tbsp taco seasoning (you can use some from a packet or if you want to make your own, I like THIS recipe)
1 avocado per person

Cilantro "Sour Cream":
1 cup cashews soaked for AT LEAST 2 hours
2 tbsp cilantro
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
dash of salt
(you can play with the ingredients till it tastes the way you want)

Directions:

Chop the red onion, red pepper and cilantro and add all the ingredients, minus the quinoa, in a bowl and mix well with the taco seasoning. Once the quinoa is cooked and has cooled, add it to the vegetable mixture.

Put the mixture in the refrigerator to cool.

Drain the cashews and place them in a blender. Add ¼ cup water, apple cider vinegar, and salt and blend. You may want to add more water until the mixture is silky and smooth but I recommend doing so a little at a time. Once the consistency you want, pour into a bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool.

To assemble the avocados, begin by cutting them in half, removing the skin and the pit. I also scooped out part of the avocado to make a little room for more stuffing.

Scoop as much of the quinoa mixture into each avocado as you can fit.

Finish with a little cilantro ‘sour cream’ and some chopped cilantro and serve.

(I had leftover quinoa salad after making a bunch of these.  I just ate it for lunch the next day.)






No comments:

Post a Comment